Join CEOs for Sustainability
CEOs for Sustainability is an outcomes-based leadership network for CEOs of the region’s leading companies to share best sustainable business practices and collaborate in growing the ranks of those that enjoy the benefits of a triple bottom line — for people, planet, and profits. The CEOs recognize that prosperous businesses are the foundation of a successful, strong region.
Improving business performance and quality of life in the region
Most large companies around the world incorporate sustainable practices, whether they call it sustainability, corporate social responsibility, or environmental, social, and governance (ESG) performance. By participating in CEOs for Sustainability, business leaders gain market advantages:
- Access to established platforms for demonstrating sustainability performance;
- Recognition as a sustainability leader in the region, both as a company and professional;
- A strong peer network for addressing leadership issues and sharing best practices in this arena;
- The talent, supply chain, quality of life, and other business advantages of an economically vibrant, environmentally healthy, and socially equitable region; and
- Increased company value, reduced risks, better access to capital, and other advantages that accrue to companies demonstrating strong ESG performance (as reported by Bloomberg, the Dow Jones Sustainability Index, etc.).
Likewise, the communities in which sustainable businesses operate benefit from good local jobs, healthier air and water, and improved social equity for all. When Southwestern Pennsylvania businesses prosper, our people do, too.
Since forming in 2016, CEOs for Sustainability has laid the groundwork for measurable change in this region:
- Created a Business Sustainability Toolkit to help businesses get started with sustainability practices.
- Conducted a baseline assessment of ESG performance of the region’s largest publicly traded companies as indicated by Bloomberg metrics.
- Partnered with the Allegheny Conference on Community Development to host executive forums featuring local business sustainability leaders.
- Facilitates Renewable Energy for the Power of 32 to provide businesses with the opportunity to lead in the region’s energy future.
- Leads the CEOs for Sustainability Speaker Series of executive briefings.
Members are committed to the CEOs for Sustainability vision —
CEOs for Sustainability participants exemplify executive leadership and collaboration to drive positive change in the region. By demonstrating responsibility and creativity in the use of precious human, natural, and capital resources, we ensure enduring economic and social prosperity for our businesses and our regional community.
— and the group’s work to increase the number of businesses that practice, measure, and publicly report sustainable business performance.
In addition, each member company makes the following commitments:
- Strive for and maintain strong financial and ESG performance — as a steward of the environment; in its relationships with employees, suppliers, customers, and communities in which it operates; and in ethical, transparent leadership.
- Be represented by the Chief Executive Officer or business leader for the company’s Southwestern Pennsylvania office;
- Appoint a Representative to ensure optimum benefit for, and engagement of, the member company;
- Publish a sustainability report or statement annually;
- Maintain active membership in Sustainable Pittsburgh annually to support the administration of CEOs for Sustainability (note: membership structure is being revised); and
- Achieve the Sustainable Business Compact On Ramp, a baseline assessment that takes only moments to complete. Through the On Ramp, businesses can assess their sustainability performance, commit to progress, and follow a roadmap to Compact achievement.
Take the first step: Submit your Southwestern Pennsylvania Sustainable Business Compact On Ramp to firstname.lastname@example.org.