We recommend some basic steps for embarking on a sustainable business program.
1) Network and learn best practices. Join Sustainable Pittsburgh’s Champions for Sustainability network of Sustainability Professionals, who meet regularly to share resources and experiences.
2) Appoint a sustainability coordinator or officer at your organization.
3) Assess your company’s sustainability performance with the Southwestern Pennsylvania Sustainable Business Compact On Ramp. The On Ramp is your pathway to a tailored sustainability program and to Compact achievement.
4) Follow business sustainability news and trends through these and other free resources — and follow them on social media, too.
- Bloomberg Sustainable Finance and other Bloomberg e-newsletters
- BSR (Business for Social Responsibility) Blog and news updates
- Cone Communications’ Prove Your Purpose e-newsletter
- Corporate Citizenship Daily Media Briefing
- GreenBiz and its daily e-newsletter
- Government & Accountability Institute’s Sustainability Highlights e-newsletter
- MIT Sloan Management Review’s Sustainability and other e-newsletters
- SmartBrief on Sustainability and SmartBrief on Social Business e-newsletters
- Sustainable Brands’ SB Business and other e-newsletters
- Sustainable Community Development Network of Southwestern Pennsylvania e-newsletter
- Sustainable Pittsburgh Insider, Sustainable Pittsburgh’s weekly e-newsletter
- Triple Pundit 3P Daily and Weekly e-newsletters
5) Compete, Save, and Win with the Sustainable Pittsburgh Challenge. The Sustainable Pittsburgh Challenge enables organizations of all types and sizes to measure their sustainability progress and engage their workforces in earning recognition for their achievements.
Toolkit for Sustainable Business Practices and Reporting
- Overview: Tools for Sustainability Disclosure and Analysis > link to PDF
- Get Started with Sustainability Reporting > link to PDF
- Get Started with Materiality > Link to PDF
- Take the First Steps Toward Supply Chain Sustainability
- Get Started with Supply Chain Sustainability > link to PDF
- The Ceres Roadmap for Sustainability