Business Sustainability Professionals
For organizations adopting sustainable business practices, appointing a sustainability manager is often an essential first step. Here in Southwestern Pennsylvania, a growing number of businesses have appointed sustainability managers (sometimes called coordinators or officers). The sustainability manager may be based in any of a range of departments, whether corporate social responsibility, marketing, communications, real estate, operations, HR, or another. It may be a dedicated position, or duties the sustainability manager performs among other responsibilities under another formal title. All can benefit from meeting regularly with peers through Champions for Sustainability’s Business Sustainability Professionals.
Since its formation in 2008, the Business Sustainability Professionals affinity group has proven highly valuable for these professionals in advancing their knowledge, highlighting achievements, and sharing emerging best practices for sustainable business practices. In addition, participants have played an important role in identifying needs for advancing their profession and developing resources and performance programs. The Green Workplace Challenge and Southwestern Pennsylvania Sustainable Business Compact are but two programs developed with leadership from this group.
November 2017: 9th Annual Sustainability Conference
Engineering a Sustainable Economy: Innovating Solutions for the 21st Century
Champions for Sustainability/Sustainable Pittsburgh
American Society of Civil Engineers – Pittsburgh Section
Environmental and Water Resources Institute – Pittsburgh Chapter
Check out ASCE-EWRI’s meeting recap here.
View more photos on Sustainable Pittsburgh’s Facebook page here.
October 2017: Eden Hall Campus Tour, Chatham University
Presenters shared the business case for and financing considerations of sustainability systems, along with the educational opportunities:
- David Finegold, president, Chatham University
- Walt Fowler, senior VP finance and administration, Chatham University
- Jack Scalo, president and CEO, Burns & Scalo Roofing
- Jamie Moore, director of sourcing and sustainability, Eat’n Park Hospitality Group
- Peter Walker, dean of the Falk School of Sustainability and Environment, Chatham University
- Lou Anne Caliguiri, executive director and dean, Eden Hall Campus, Chatham University
- Roy Weitzell, aquatic laboratory director, Falk School of Sustainability and Environment, Chatham University
- Tony Miga, farm manager, Eden Hall Campus, Chatham University
- Mary Whitney, director of university sustainability, Chatham University
- Iris Grossman, assistant professor of sustainable technology, Chatham University
View more photos at Sustainable Pittsburgh’s Facebook page.
September 2017: Implementing the Triple Bottom Line
- Wendy Lomicka, sustainability leader, NOVA Chemicals
- Kim Olivito, project leader, sustainability, FedEx Ground
- Allison Robinson, director, environmental initiatives, UPMC
July 2017: Supply Chain Sustainability
- Jim Maug, director of building maintenance and property management, PITT OHIO
- Justine Russo, director of sustainability and business intelligence, PITT OHIO
Meeting followed by sustainability tour of Wigle Whiskey Distillery